Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [HACKERS] COPY formatting

I have a comment about the following thread from about 2 months ago that dealt with delimiters in the copy command:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=postgresql-general&m=107960271207890&w=2

I wanted to chime in and say that I think having more complex delimiters would be very useful. I was curious if there are any developers considering working on this? Here is an example of why I would like to see multi character delimiters:

I use pgsql 7.3.2 on OpenBSD 3.4 to store the results of my nessus scans (nessus is a very large and popular vulnerability scanner, see nessus.org). I currently use perl to parse the scan results and create tens of thousands of insert statements for each scan that is run, and was looking into using the copy command to speed up adding that data to the db. Nessus scan results are very text heavy and often have many characters within the text fields, so I don't think there are any single characters that I can use as a delimiter (^|,\n and many others are all used within the scan results). With that in mind I'd like to specify my own custom multi character delimiter to ensure that it won't be used within a field.

Matt

Best Restaurant Giveaway Ever! Vote for your favorites for a chance to win $1 million! http://local.msn.com/special/giveaway.asp

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings