Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Is there a tool used to display statement times from postgres logs

We currently evaluate PgFouine to analyse all executed statements in a
Postgres 8.4 cluster. But we don't use syslog - instead we use logging
via STDERR. Analyzing of the logs works fine with that combination. We
also tested big logfiles (~ 3GB) with pgFouine - also works fine, but
took about 2h30min for parsing...

To do so, we use the following settings in postgresql.conf:
    log_destination = 'stderr'
    logging_collector = on
    log_min_duration_statement = 0
# log EVERY statement in every DB of the cluster
    log_line_prefix = '%t [%p]: [%l-1] user=%u,db=%d '	# for pgFouine
Statistics.

after reloading the config (with `pg_ctl reload`) every sql-statement in
every database of the cluster should be logged. To analyze the log with
pgFouine do something like:
 [bernd@vmlxdb]$ ./pgfouine.php -file PG84-2009-11-09.log -logtype
stderr -report history

If you also need the query-plans in the logfile, then you maybe want to
take a look at the contrib-package 'autoexplain'. This package can write
the query-plan of a sql-statement into the log. But you should be
warned: pgFouine will be a little bit confused with the plans in the
logfile (detect the sql-statement and the associated plan as two
separate statements)...

bernd.