Search Postgresql Archives

Re: build array of composites in SPI

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 2:19 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> right...makes sense.  converted.  one last question: can you save off
>> the blessed TupleDesc (that is, make it static) between invocations of
>> the function (I'm not worried about it changing)?
>
> You could probably get away with copying it into some long-term memory
> context.  Once you've blessed it the record typmod should remain the
> same for the rest of the session.
>
> If you're feeling bloody-minded you could remember the pointer returned
> by lookup_rowtype_tupdesc(), but that strikes me as assuming too much
> about the behavior of typcache.c.

Everything works! fantastic!  Thanks again!

Just an idle thought:
Dealing with the backend api is always a little rough the first time
out.  It's an awfully big job, but ISTM that the C language backend
api could use some expansion.  Perhaps it could get it's own chapter,
with sections for SPI, Datums, triggers, composites, arrays, etc.
"34.8 C-Language Functions" is overlong and not very well organized
IMO.  I certainly don't have time to work on ATM though.

merlin