Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Config help

BuyAndRead Test wrote:
This is a virtual server, so I could give it as much as 8 GB of memory if
this will give much higher performance. What should shared_buffere be set to
if I use 8 GB, as much as 4 GB?

John R Pierce wrote:
I'd keep it around 1-2GB shared_buffers, and let the rest of the memory be used as file system cache. postgres works quite happily that way.

From what I understand, database tuning is one of the Dark Arts. PG is unique in that it's enterprise-grade but that standard settings work well across a wide range of usage scenarios. If you are dealing with unusually large numbers of connections and/or unusually large working sets, I'm guessing as you approach terabyte-scale dbs and up, it pays to go to even larger shared_buffers and work_mem and do other arcane tuning magic.

--
Lew