Search Postgresql Archives

Re: checkpoints/bgwriter tuning verification

On 10/29/2009 04:42 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:
On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 12:46 PM, Vick Khera<vivek@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
On my primary DB I'm observing random slowness which just doesn't make
sense to me.  The I/O system can easily do 40MB/sec writes, but I'm
only seeing a sustained 5MB/sec, even as the application is stalling
waiting on the DB.

Just one point on top of everything else you'll hear.  40 MB/sec
sequential throughput does not equal 40MB/sec random PLUS checkpoint
throughput.  Random access is gonna lower that 40MB/sec way down real
fast.

First step to speed things up is putting pg_xlog on its own disk(s).
Hi Scott,

How exactly do you do this? By creating a link to the new location or
is there a config option somewhere that says where the pg_xlog resides?

Thanks,
Steve

Since pg_xlog is mostly sequentially access, it's much faster when
it's not competing with the rest of the db.  THEN if you need faster
disks you can buy them and throw them at path/data/base/.  However,
often just splitting things out like this will make a world of
difference on a write heavy database.