Search Postgresql Archives

Re: auto truncate/vacuum full

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009, Tom Lane wrote:

The issue I can see is that we might never be able to complete any truncation if there's a lot of potentially removable pages and a pretty steady flow of conflicting lock attempts. But that would result in failure to remove bloat, not stoppage of conflicting queries.

That's exactly it. It's possible to get into a situation where it becomes increasingly difficult to even catch up bloat once you get behind by a certain amount. All it takes is one giant deletion and you can get stuck here until there's a window to take the database down altogether, and you could end up down for hours waiting for that to execute.

It might be worth allowing autovacuum to execute the truncation every few hundred pages, so as to ensure that progress can be made even if it never gets a very long uninterrupted lock on the table.

That was the sort of thing I was alluding to, moving in that direction would seem much more valuable than trying to optimize the existing approach better.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD