Search Postgresql Archives

Settings for autovacuum for batch uploading of data?

Hello Forum,

I would appreciate it if you could recommend settings to use auto-vacuum in my version 7.4 database.  I am uploading several thousands records in the database at a rate of ~1 second per record (the data is uploading from a different server).  I have noticed that the performance of the uploading is improved if I vacuum the database every so often so I decided to take advantage of auto-vacuuming to maintain the best performance.  Since I am uploading several thousands records, I set autovacuum to 50 minutes with –s 3000 in the hope that a great deal of data would be committed before a regular vacuum would take place and that vacuuming would interfere the least possible with the uploading.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.