Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Implementing Frontend/Backend Protocol TCP/IP

On 27/10/2009, at 14:00, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

Raimon Fernandez wrote:

REALbasic has plugin for PostgreSQL, but they are synchronous  and
freeze the GUI when interacting with PG. This is not a problem
noramlly, as the SELECTS/UPDATES/... are fast enopugh, but sometimes
we need to fetch 1000, 5000 or more rows and the application stops
to respond, I can't have a progressbar because all is freeze, until
all data has come from PG, so we need a better way.

If you need to fetch large numbers of rows, perhaps it would be better
to use a cursor and fetch a few at a time, moving the progress bar in
the pauses.  So instead of

SELECT * FROM sometab;

you would o
DECLARE foo CURSOR FOR SELECT * FROM sometab;

and then, repeatedly,
FETCH 50 FROM foo

Until there are no more rows.

This can still freeze your app in certain cases, but it will be probably a lot better than what you currently have. And it will be MUCH easier/
cheaper to do than working with the FE/BE protocol yourself.

Yes, I'm aware of this possibility but it's a lot of extra work also.

The initial idea of TCP/IP still remains in my brain ...

:-)

thanks,

raimon