Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Function - sequence - cast

Richard Huxton wrote:

Ron St-Pierre wrote:

I am trying to use a sequence value in a function but I keep getting an error message:

WARNING: Error occurred while executing PL/pgSQL function correctaddress

WARNING: line 8 at SQL statement

ERROR: column "addressid" is of type integer but expression is of type character varying
You will need to rewrite or cast the expression

And the function looks like:

CREATE FUNCTION correctAddress(INT) RETURNS INT AS ' DECLARE
user_id ALIAS FOR $1;

old_addr INT; new_addr INT; BEGIN

PERFORM nextval(''public.address_addressid_seq'');

If you've set up addressID as a SERIAL then this nextval() isn't necessary.

INSERT INTO address (SELECT strProvince, strAddress FROM address WHERE addressID = (SELECT addressID FROM companies WHERE companyID = (SELECT companyID FROM users WHERE userID=user_id)));

I'm using the force here, but the problem might be here instead. What are the columns on the address table, and if addressID is the first one is strProvince a varchar?

WOW! Amazing use of the force, strProvince is a text field :-) You're correct, the first column is an in and strProvince is text. Thanks for pointing out the obvious, my 'real' function has about 15 more fields and I was too busy looking at other things to notice.

UPDATE users SET adressID = CAST(currval(''public.tbladdress_addressid_seq'') AS INTEGER) WHERE userID=user_id; -- ---> ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ = ?

Thanks Richard.

Ron