Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PgSQL 7.4.2 - NaN on Tru64 UNIX - CORRECTION!!!

Tom Lane wrote:

Nikola Milutinovic <Nikola.Milutinovic@ev.co.yu> writes:

[ about NaN on Tru64 ]
This compiles on Tru64 4.0D (the compiler swallows it), but fails on Tru64 UNIX 5.1B. Both basic CC and DTK Compaq CC break on that file complaining on that constant evaluation. The best way to solve it is to use system definition of "Infinity Constants":
+ #define NAN DBL_INFINITY

Current CVS tip will probably fail with this, because we expect the
platform to distinguish between NaN and Infinity.  Could you retry your
experiments with a recent snapshot and let us know what seems best now?

Appologies to all, I have been blind!

Disregard my proposed patches. One of users on Tru64 mailing list pointed me to a correct solution - add "-ieee" to CC flags. I took a look at templates for OSF1 in PgSQL and they read:

CFLAGS="-O -ieee"

Since I was putting my own definition for CFLAGS, I left out "-ieee". I have reverted ./src/include/port/osf1.h to the the original and changed CFLAGS in ./src/Makefile.global to include "-ieee". Then I rebuild ./src/backend/utils/adt/float.o (I'll rebuild the whole PostgreSQL in a moment) and ran regression tests.

All 93 tests passed.

So, again, my apologies to all, no change neccesary.

Nix.

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend