Search Postgresql Archives

Re: multi-company design/structure ?

John wrote:
Hi,

Is it better to create multi databases or create multi schemas?

John, I just gave a talk on multi-tenant Pg clusters at PgConf West 2009 that may help you but ran into vehicle problems and just got home this evening. As quick as I can I'll get the bits-and-pieces pulled together and pass them along.

Too frazzled to give it a try this evening.  :-(

\\||/
Rod
--

I am writing a program that can have multi instances. Sort like a finanical accounting system that can have multiable companies. Where each company has a different name but the tables are an exact match to each other. IOW the only difference between the company tables is the data that each instance contains. I believe that if I use multi-schemas within one database it will be easier to retrieve data from other schemas. But what if the data has to be on different computers (or multi locations) - is it true I have to insure all the schemas are in the same data location? Or can the schemas be on different computers. Anyway I'd like to hear from the list opinion as to the best way to design this structure.
Also I believe the database/s will be run on Linux.

Thanks in advance,

Johnf