Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Help! Error Compiling

Keith Bottner wrote:
I just reinstalled my system and am in the process of getting PostgreSQL up
and running again. During compilation of Postgres I received the following
error:
... [A lot of configure messages go here]
checking for main in -lunix... no
checking for library containing crypt... -lcrypt
checking for library containing fdatasync... none required
checking for shmget in -lcygipc... no
checking for readline... yes (-lreadline)
checking for inflate in -lz... yes
checking for CRYPTO_new_ex_data in -lcrypto... no
configure: error: library 'crypto' is required for OpenSSL
I have never received this error before. It does appear that the crypt
libraries are installed as can be seen on the second line of output that I
included. Not knowing how the configure file works I was wondering if it is
looking for something related but is using an inappropriate error message?
Any ideas?

"crypt" will be the traditional unix-style passwd encryption.
"crypto" appears to be ssl-related stuff.
You probably want to make sure you've installed the development package (headers) for openssl.

P.S. There are PostgreSQL packages for common platforms, that's probably the simplest way to install.

-- Richard Huxton Archonet Ltd