Search Postgresql Archives

will I need nested transactions ?

Hi,

will I need "nested transactions" which - as I read - aren't implemented, yet ?

I have some objects that rely on each other.
Each has a status like proposal, working, canceled.

table-A <--- table-B <--- table-C <--- table-D

Those are (1, OO) relationships,
A status change above gets cascaded down but not upwards.
If I try to cancel a table-A-record every "lower" record in B, C, D should be canceled, too, when the transaction is committed.
Since it is possible, that I cancel e.g. a table B object only its children should get updated but not table-A.

I thought somthing along this to cancel a type B object:

BEGIN
   BEGIN
       BEGIN
              UPDATE table-D
        END
        if no error UPDATE table-C
   END
   if no error UPDATE table-B
END

Does this make sense and will it provide the necesary protection ?

BTW the client is Access 2000 via ODBC talking to an PostgreSQL 7.4.2 on Linux.

Regards Andreas