Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How to reduce WAL file Size

On 9 Oct 2009, at 8:48, Mitesh51 wrote:

I am dealing with backup of databases. Now eventhough there are not many changes in the DB, it creates WAL file of 16 mb. Now because I am working on
a application which takes full & inc backup of db after specific
intervals..if for small changes it creates 16 mb files then storing them
will eat up lot many space. As I am not having DB knowledge I am just
assuming that it will create problems in terms of storage space. That is my
concern.

If you will explain this thing then it will help me in a good way :)

I thought as much, you can't just make a file-system backup of the WAL files and expect you'll be able to recover your database from that. Unless you take special measures your chances are minimal and the method is inferior to the other possible approaches.

Backups are explained at length in the documentation, see http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/backup.html

If your backup system can handle block- or byte-level incremental backups it's probably easiest to just do a database dump to a fixed file at regular intervals. The backup software will just backup the differences since last backup after all.

Another common strategy is to use PITR (point in time recovery) for your backups.

P.S. Please try to avoid top-posting.

Alban Hertroys-3 wrote:

What's this? Did my name change suddenly? Or is yahoo-mail a bad mail client?