Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Best data type to use for sales tax percent

Rich Shepard wrote:
On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, Mike Christensen wrote:

I'll probably just use 3,3 and store this value between 0 and 1, since all I'll be doing with this number is using it to multiply against a subtotal. 3,3 gives me 0.000 through 0.999, correct?

Mike,

  No. The two digits represent the width of the column and the number of
significant digits. Try (4,3).

That will fail for the scenario that Christope Pettus pointed out. California is not the only state with sales tax specified to a quarter point., or even a tenth of a point as in Missouri, where a local sales tax can be 9.241%, and equal or exceed 10%, as in Alabama, Arizona, California and Illinois.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_taxes_in_the_United_States>

It's a good idea to research the domain before deciding on the representation.

--
Lew