Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Renaming constraints

2009/10/8 Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
You'd probably better rename the constraint too to avoid confusion.
Failing anything else, there's always direct UPDATE of the pg_constraint
catalog.

If it's only a matter of the entry in the pg_constraint catalog being changed, couldn't a more intuitive SQL-style instruction be included in a future release?

Such as:

ALTER TABLE my_table RENAME CONSTRAINT my_constraint TO your_constraint;

For backwards compatibility, omission of a keyword after "RENAME" could just default to meaning "COLUMN" like it currently does.

Thom Brown