Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Remote connection timed out

Barbara Stephenson wrote:
Hello,
We have a website that connects remotely to our 8.3 postgres database. I've noticed if I connect to the database and let it sit for an hour the connection is lost. Is there a default connection timeout?

How "remote"? Through firewalls/VPNs/etc.? My suspicion is that an intervening portion of the network is dropping the connection. You could start by analyzing your network. Alternately, the following portion of postgresql.conf may help you (if these socket options are implemented on your system).

# - TCP Keepalives -
# see 'man 7 tcp' for details

#tcp_keepalives_idle = 0                # TCP_KEEPIDLE, in seconds;
                                       # 0 selects the system default
#tcp_keepalives_interval = 0            # TCP_KEEPINTVL, in seconds;
                                       # 0 selects the system default
#tcp_keepalives_count = 0               # TCP_KEEPCNT;
                                       # 0 selects the system default

I believe the default for keepalives (at least on my Linux system at the tcp-level) is to wait 2-hours before sending keepalives. This may be too long in your case.

Cheers,
Steve