Search Postgresql Archives

Re: one to many

Stephan Szabo wrote:

On Sun, 16 May 2004, Dennis Gearon wrote:

CC me please.

How do I set up a one to many relationship in Postgres, (any DB for that
matter.)

I.E., if a delete or update of a child table causes a row in the parent
table to no longer refer to any rows in the child table, to either cause
Postgres to error out or delete the parent? I can see it does it for
when a parent is upudated or deleted.

I don't think there's any built in direct way to do this right now, but you could probably build triggers that would do it for you (the current foreign key triggers might give a starting point. You'd probably also want to use CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER to be able to defer the trigger (similarly to how the foreign key deferred works).

I didn't know you could set up triggers to be deferred! AWESOME! That makes for some additional flexibility that I could use.

Thank you very much Stephen. I was beginnning to consider TRIGGERS as the solution; Now I know that they will work.