Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How useful is the money datatype?

2009/10/3 Peter Geoghegan <peter.geoghegan86@xxxxxxxxx>

Here's how I represent currency values:

CREATE DOMAIN currency
 AS numeric(10,2);

See, I can understand why someone might take the extra step to create a domain for storing monetary units.  The fact that money is in the documentation, but contains no notes to explain that it's only there for backward-compatibility lead me to wonder if it still had relevance, which I gather it doesn't really.  I'll avoid using it as it only appears to introduce unnecessary limitations with very little advantages.

Thom