Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How to have ant's <sql> task insert special chars appropriately?

J. Roeleveld wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 September 2009 11:29:02 Richard Huxton wrote:
>> agostonbejo wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> What I'm trying to do is to insert some data from a sql file into a
>>> postgres DB by calling the <sql> ant task. My problem is that I can't get
>>> special characters (even if they can be represented by the standard ASCII
>>> charset, such as ä, ö, ü, é, etc.) to be inserted correctly.
>> Those aren't ASCII.
>
> Actually, they are:

Sorry, but actually, they aren't. ASCII is 7-bits only and doesn't
include those accented characters.

> ä = 132
> ö = 148
> ü = 129
> é = 130
> See: http://www.ascii.nl
> Site is in dutch, but these characters are in the table headed "Extended ASCII
> Codes"

To the best of my knowledge there is no standard list of "extended ascii
codes" - there are many different extensions. See all the various
codepages on Windows/IBM, original Mac character set, the various 8-bit
era computers etc.

> But for this to work, the source-file needs to be created using the ASCII
> codepage. Not some extension to it.

Not sure what this last bit means.

--
  Richard Huxton