Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Plpgsql problem passing ROWTYPE to function

On 2004.04.29 22:21 Tom Lane wrote:

>   "Parameters to a function can be composite types (complete table
> rows). In that case, the corresponding identifier $n will be a row
> variable, and fields can be selected from it, for example
$1.user_id."

That says that a parameter passed *into* a plpgsql function can be a
rowtype, not that plpgsql supports doing something with the whole-row
variable in function calls it makes.

I'm afriad I don't understand.

I don't want to have a plpgsql function write a plpgsql function,
all I want to do is have a plpgsql function call a plpgsql function,
pass it a ROWTYPE variable and read the 'column' values of
the ROWTYPE variable in the called function. What use is it to be able to write
a plpgsql function that receives a ROWTYPE variable if you can't
call the function from plpgsql?

Karl <kop@meme.com>
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein