Search Postgresql Archives

questions on rules

I'm trying to set up some basic rules to log inserts, updates, and deletes to tables in an inheritance hierarchy (by inserting records into a log table), and I've got a couple of questions.

(1) Is it possible to create a rule on a base table and have it operate for all derived tables? I'd like to just create 3 rules (insert/update/delete) on the base table and have them apply to all inherited tables. Can this be done?

(2) I've got a very simple update rule-- create rule log_updates as on update to foo do insert into audit_log(table_oid, id, log_what) values (foo.tableoid, NEW.foo_id, 'U'); I had hoped that this would create a single entry in my audit_log table for each row updated. However, it seems to fire for each record in the "foo" table, even if the update affected only one row! What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Tim Perrigo

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend