Search Postgresql Archives

Re: FW: Postgres alongside MS SQL Server

At 06:13 PM 4/23/2004 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> MS built-in task manager doesn't let you kill all processes.

It will let you kill any processes at your own level of permissions,
just as Unix will. The difference is that a local admin on the machine
is not equal to root, and can still not kill processes owned by "Local
System".

Sometimes it won't let me kill notepad or something I'm sure is not owned by Local System (coz normal users shouldn't be able to start stuff as local system ;) ). Need to use another tool.

> postgresql. Which brings us to something I don't know the answer of -
> what's the safe way of terminating postgresql on a MS server?

I don't know enough about the cygwin version to comment on that one, but
for the upcoming native version there will be:
* If running as a service, use service control manager
* If running in a console window, use Ctrl-C in that window
* In either case, use the "pgkill" tool (currently on the win32 status
page, not sure what to do about that when we get to release time. If
it's to be included, it has to be cleaned up)
* Possibly a pg_terminate_backend() function inside a pqsl session

Sounds good.

I still think he shouldn't use the cygwin version given that he's in a situation where he has to ask the question he is asking...

Link.

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster