Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Missing OID rant

John Sidney-Woollett wrote:

Tom Lane said:

Yup, this is on the TODO list, and has been for awhile:

* Flush cached query plans when their underlying catalog data changes

Is the query plan cached for the life of the session, or the life of the cache/database/postmaster session?

DB connection is the lifetime of PL/pgSQL cached plans.

Isn't removing the plan from the cache, and marking objects invalid two separate although related issues?

It is.

I don't know, but cannot believe that it would be hard to implement
this,

Step right up ...

Believe you me, you don't want my code - it's been quite a few years since I've done any C programming, a patch I produced might set Postgres back 5 years!!

Well, that's what I do with French people, I convince them that it hurts less if they rather talk English or German instead of me uttering something in their language.

BTW, I was only highlighting the issue because the missing OID message bit me in the ass again today, and I didn't realise that it existed as an outstanding todo item.

I guess that there are other missing features like exception handling and
nested transactions which are more important and need attention more
urgently...

Exactly, and because of that we want you to do the easy stuff with the cache invalidation, so that we have the time to think about the others.

Jan

John Sidney-Woollett