Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Storing jpgs

On Apr 5, 2004, at 2:03 PM, Gavin M. Roy wrote:

> I'm one for using base64 encoded text in a text field. It's easy to
> deal with queries, it's easy to deal with spitting out images, and
> it's easy to back up. Others do it differently, there are many ways to
> skin a cat, and each person who skins cats most likely thinks their
> way is best. Gavin

Anyone knows what about performance of that kind of solution. Right now I'm storing all multimedia files on the disc, but I would be great if all files could be stored in DB (automatic remove, portability etc...). But the problem is with the size of all files - today it is about 5GB, so I belive that this can affect for overall DB performance. Any experiences ?

PS. My DB have 3 schemes where about 1 million different data are stored. I thought that it will be the best to create new scheme for storing files ? Right ? How about perfomance in this case ?