Search Postgresql Archives

Storage cost of a null column

What is the storage cost of a null entry in a column? i.e. does a null entry of type integer, float8 or text consume the same amount of storage as one that is filled? I ask because I have satellite data which is transmitted via a dodgy RF link that drops data packets. This means I have a number of columns in a table that are null. Moreover, the operations people decided to use a compression scheme whereby non-changing bit/integer values are not output at regular intervals which also adds a considerable number of null entries into the columns. Because of this, we made a decision that we would have hundreds of 2 column tables (timestamp, value) and use unions, intersections, and joins to get what was needed. Unfortunately, this has made application programming a real nightmare as we are often forced to reconstruct a snapshot frame for the range of times either in C or have the app create temporary tables in SQL and insert the relevant data prior to selecting it. As it stands, we've ordered a new disk array and provided that the storage costs are not that high, I will probably be reorganising all this next week. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd be very keen to hear them.

Cheers,
Randall

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)