Search Postgresql Archives

Re: row-level security model

On Apr 1, 2004, at 10:26 AM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

You should be able to do this with a view. current_user will give you
the user. You probably want to join this with your own group table
and with the table of interest. If each row belongs to only one group
this is easy.

I'm still not clear on how this would work. Let me provide a more concrete example and perhaps you can give me a little more help on how the view model would work.

Suppose I have a school database. Teachers have a many-to-many relationship with their sections (classes). Students also have a many-to-many relationship with the section table. So the teacher group should be able to view the student records for any student in any of their classes. My second group is parents. The parent and student tables also have a many-to-many relationship. So when a parent logs in they should be able to view any student for which they are a primary contact. Now what if Sam is both parent and teacher groups. He should be able to view the students in his class as well as any students for which he is the guardian.

Best,

John DeSoi, Ph.D.