Subject: Help with Conversion
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 00:47:21 -0500
From: Paulo Felice Maria Petri <pfmp@flav.it>
Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle.server,comp.databases.oracle.misc

Hello friends,

    We would like to convert our Oracle database to the free PostreSQL
RDBMS. I would like to know the best way to export Oracle data so that I
can load the data into PostgreSQL. Is there a text export in DDL
statments emmbeded?

Background:
    We are nearing the end of a 2 year term license for Oracle Standard
Edition and we would like to move to something more cost effectivive. We
would also like to run our database on a machine with more than one
processor. I think it cost too much for a Oracle 4 CPU license. Since
PostgreSQL is free, I can run in on a 4-way or 8-way machine without
having to pay much more money.

    Also PostgreSQL seems to be the most compatible OSS database. It
has similar triggers, PLSQL, stored procedures like Oracle etc. I also
liked the ability to write stored procedures in Perl and Python and TCL.
Also unlike Oracle, PostgresSQL does not come with a big Java JVM bolted
on. Also the .ORG domain

We ruled out MYSQL since it was the least like Oracle.

The Karen Southwick article was very informative too.
http://news.com.com/2010-1071-5072299.html

If PostgreSQL is good for .ORG registry then it is good enough for me:
http://www.isoc.org/dotorg/10-1.shtml

"Sustaining the high-availability infrastructure that delivers this
performance is one of the most advanced open source relational database
systems, PostgreSQL. As detailed in our answer to Question 13,
PostgreSQL already fully supports a 24x7, high-transaction, registry system:

   1. it has scaled with .INFO from zero to nearly one million domains
via its large capacity and its concurrency capability (multi-version
concurrency control);
   2. it provides all database functions required by .INFO (and .ORG);
   3. it delivers (as evidenced above) at our service level commitments
or better;
   4. it benefits from broad usage (RedHat, BASF, and others) and
support by a significant base of developers; and
   5. it provides high data portability and standards compliance,
including native JDBC/ODBC support."

Thank you for your help.