Search Postgresql Archives

Re: row-level security model

John DeSoi wrote:

I have a security model I have implemented in another (non-SQL) database environment that I would like to use in Postgresql. I have read the rules and set returning functions documentation but I still don't see how it would work in Postgresql. Any ideas or direction would be greatly appreciated.

The mechanism that has been most often described is to use PostgreSQL user and groups and use CURRENT_USER in the view definition. For example:

CREATE TABLE salaries (
 employee text unique not null primary key,
 salary numeric(16,2) not null,
);

CREATE VIEW v_salaries AS
SELECT *
FROM salaries
WHERE employee = CURRENT_USER;

with the appropriate GRANTs and REVOKEs applied to the view and table. You could leverage PostgreSQL groups or join against an application group-membership table:

CREATE VIEW v_salaries AS
SELECT *
FROM salaries
WHERE CURRENT_USER IN
 (SELECT userid
  FROM appgroups
  WHERE groupid = 'Accounting');

etc.

There are normally two issues that crop up:

1) Often people would prefer to not use PostgreSQL's authentication mechanism, in which case CURRENT_USER is not available for view definitions. The only way I know around this is to provide a little 'C' function to get/set a session attribute, invoke the set() upon connecting and build the views over the get(). The set() could, for example, take a userid and password and only actually set the global variable accessed by get() if the password matched the application user-table.

2) PostgreSQL allows the use of functions in WHERE clauses that can modify the database. Oracle does not. A side effect is that if a user has the ability to write a function, regardless of whether or not the language is trusted, they can by-pass the use of views as security:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=3D02B372.B6A4EFB6%40mascari.com&rnum=2&prev=/groups%3Fq%3DMike%2BMascari%2Bsecurity%2Bhole%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26hl%3Den

HTH,

Mike Mascari