Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Question about rtrees (overleft replacing left in nodes)

Tom Lane wrote:
I said:

However, if this is indeed wrong, why have we not heard bug reports
stating that rtree indexes don't work?  Can you generate a test case
in which it fails?

Actually, it's not necessary to look very far: there's one rtree index
defined in the regression database, and guess what: it gets << queries
wrong.

OK, glad to know I'm not going crazy. Oh well, if there's a way to break something, trust me to find it within a week of using it. :(

Out of curiosity how many tuples are in that test? I wasn't able to invoke index scan with position operators even at 100K tuples.

Also worth noting that &< and &> queries fail (that's the test case I just sent) as well; the << and >> failure is (if I understand correctly) a result of &< and &> being used at the node level in the rtree.

Side question: is there a user contrib area for extensions? The path to this discovery started with a general interval "template class" to support any interval type (open, half-open, or closed) on any scalar data type (note: by "template class" read "C equivalent thereof using Gnu cpp ## macro construction kluges to create another C file with data types fileld in"). My original goal was [timestamp,timestamp) intervals (or (t,t) or [t,t] or whatever) but it works with any scalar that's internally numeric. Someone else might as well benefit from the frustrations I've had in figuring out how to handle operations on half- and fully-open empty intervals. :)

Thanks,

-- Bill

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster