Search Postgresql Archives

Re: 7.4.2 on Solaris 9 - Error

>> bash-2.05$ gcc -pthread
>> gcc: unrecognized option `-pthread'
>> gcc: no input files
>>
>> which seems to indicate you are right.  I am kind of surprised.  Some
>> platforms to take -pthread, some -lpthread, so I am pretty sure it was
>> specified by the original Solaris guy.

> there are also platforms using -pthreads, -kthread, -Kthread, -mthreads,
> -mt and --thread-safe ... with dependancies on other compiler flags like
> -D_REENTRANT, -D_THREAD_SAFE, order dependencies (like need to check for
> pthreads before -lpthread on AIX) and sometimes resulting in a different
> compiler program called alltogether.

The compiler in question here is GCC.  The existing IF statement already
specified -lpthread for the Solaris compiler.  It was specifying -pthread
for GCC, which was incorrect - GCC says it is an unrecognized option.
Surely GCC on AIX isn't going to have the -pthread option, is it?  Don't
know - I've never run GCC on AIX...

I think the remaining outstanding question for Solaris is -D_THREAD_SAFE.
Based on your research, -D_REENTRANT is needed for errno to be defined
properly, so it was added.  But, -D_THREAD_SAFE is still not specified.  Is
it needed or not needed?

Wes

               http://archives.postgresql.org