Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PG vs MySQL

> > I also wonder how well the pg_hba.conf method will scale.  What happens
> > if there are hundreds of client databases or thousands of entries in
> > pg_hba.conf?
>
> Although I personally would like to see a pg_hba table instead of the
> file, I would have to seariously question your implementation if you had
> hundreds of databases on a single machine.

I know of an ISP who has a large number of customers (in excess of 400)
running similar small (probably under 100MB each) MySQL databases.  Since
I know each customer has access only to his own data, I assume it is
implemented using a different database for each customer.  Whether or not
it is on one or several machines is a detail I'm not sure of.

Without knowing much about how pg uses the pg_hba.conf file, I don't
know what problems porting that ISP to pg might raise, I only cite it
as an example of an extreme case that might not have been anticipated
and thus possibly an inherent limit in the pg_hba.conf method.

I think it is possible to discuss MySQL features in comparison to pg
without getting into an Annie Oakley/Frank Butler-style argument here.
--
Mike Nolan