Re: How to limit dropdown list to options based on 'in use' rows from lookup table, for webpage using php and postgresql

On 29/12/2015 16:23, Killian Driscoll wrote:
> I have a table country with a lookup table to country_type.
>
> table country
>
> country_id (pk), col2, col3, country_type_id (fk) integer
>
> lookup table
>
> country_type country_type_id (pk), type_name varchar
>
> My lookup table has 50 country types, but only 20 are 'in use' in the
> current db (with the rest possibly used later as the db expands). On the
> webpage I am creating (I am using a php generator) I can set it up to
> add a filter by country type based on the country type_name varchar - so
> one can view the country types by name rather than the id integer - but
> all 50 types are listed.
>
> I only want the 20 that currently 'in use' (not sure if this is the best
> way to describe it) and therefore relevant to searches/filters (i.e. I
> don't want to see a "There are no records to display" message).

How do you define "in use"? Is it a switch turned on and off by an
admin? is it based on how often that country is chosen by a user? Maybe
something else?

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland