Re: Application Design: Where to implement historical revisions of objects

There is no question in my mind that this kind of auditing must be done at the database level.  Otherwise, any time you access the underlying database directly and update any tables monitored by the audit log you break your audit trail.

I’ve heard arguments made that access to the database should be restricted to the application front end only, thus negating the possibility of someone directly updating the data and circumventing the audit process, but in 25 years of IT experience I have *NEVER* *ONCE* seen an environment where that was practical 100% of the time.

Ray Garrison, CIO

420 East Main Street

Bld 2, Suite 2

Branford, CT 06405