Re: PgSQL and integration between 2 PHP programs and a Java program

Juan,

Well in the case of using PgSQL for all my application I will have to rewrite a lot of codes, so I think it's much better to use their native MySQL databases instead.
Also it seems to me that DBI-Link can not do what I want, as it seems, it updates ALL the fields of table in remotre database & not just the changed fields. If this is true, it will rewrite some user setting that is specific for an application that was previously updated by the application itself. So this way it will cause a roll back to these settings that user is made in a specific application. Although I'm not sure about this, I will ask it in their mailing list to see if it only updates the fields I want, or all the fields..
Anyhow, after all, I can go ahead with a simple transaction code in Liferay that triggers a series of connections to different MySQL DBs, update special user information tables and then close connections. Also I can use LOCK table method to lock the tables that Liferay is writing to, so that other applications can not write to the same table at that moment & show a "temporary out of service" message to the user. Although this will not occure much, as this incidence is very rare to happen.
Also I should ask about a feature in MySQL. Is it possible to LOCK a row in a table in MySQL? I mean for e.g if I lock the table "members" , then no member related functions can be done by ANY of my members. But if for example, I can LOCK the 1st row only that contains the data about my first user, then his account information will be updated and meanwhile others can use the system with no problem.
I'm not that familiar with this LOCK method. If anyone can help me and show me how to use it, I will appreciate.

--

Warm Regards,
Amir