PostgreSQL 8.1 + PHP5.1.x/4.4.2 + Apache 2.0.55/1.3.34 PROBLEM!! PLEASE HELP

Help! I was trying to make an installation of PHP 5.1.2 + Apache
2.0.55 + PostgreSQL 8.1 on Windows 2003 Server, and I'm stuck. I
got PHP to work with Apache quite smoothly, so did I marry PHP with
PostgreSQL - scripts connecting to the database work fine from
windows command line, except that the following code:

if (extension_loaded("php_pgsql")) {
echo "PGSQL loaded!";
}

returns no message. Still database queries work fine. Trouble starts
when I try to open a page in my browser - then I get an error
message like this:

Error: call to udefined function pg_connect()...

I changed the php.ini file a billion times, trying to figure out
what to set in the "extension_dir" and "extension=php_pgsql.dll"
lines, and I tried at least as many times to change apache's
httpd.conf file so that the php module is loaded properly. And it
is, as far as I'm concerned - the phpinfo() page shows without a
problem. One peculiar thing about it is that in the "Loaded
modules" section (don't remember the exact name) there's absolutely
no sign of the pgsql module.

I also tried downloading and installing the latest php snapshot,
because someone on a forum told me it might work, but it didn't :o(
I even tried earlier versions of Apache and PHP, but nothing
worked. Initially I figured I must have found a bug, but I don't
really believe it could've gone on for so long without being
noticed by somebody...

I'm begging for help, because the person I'm doing the server for
strongly insists on the machine working on Win 2003 and not some
distribution of linux or unix.

Regards,
krzysieq

--