Selecting by date (timestamp)

Hi,

I have the following table running on postgres 8.04:

   CREATE TABLE ValueLog
    (
      idValueLog int4 NOT NULL DEFAULT nextval ('public.idValueLog_seq'::text),
      PPx integer,
      iValue integer DEFAULT -1,
      fValue real DEFAULT -1,
      t_tag timestamp without time zone,
      t_arr timestamp without time zone,
      cot integer,
      ack boolean,
      blk boolean,
      qd_iv boolean,
      qd_nt boolean,
      qd_sb boolean,
      qd_bl boolean,
      qd_ov boolean,
      CONSTRAINT idValueLog PRIMARY KEY (idValueLog)
    )
        WITHOUT OIDS;
        ALTER TABLE ValueLog OWNER TO $admin_user;"

I've created the following SQL statement to select the records newer then a given date:

select almvalue.almname , ppoint.ppdimstr, valuelog.ack, valuelog.blk, to_char(valuelog.t_arr,'DD.MM.YYYY HH24:MI:SS') from ppoint, valuelog, almvalue where ppoint.ppx = valuelog.ppx and almvalue.almvalue = valuelog.ivalue and valuelog.ppx = $db_ppx and  to_char(valuelog.t_arr,'YYYYMMDD') >= '$ts

$ts is a string, the date value input by the user and formated YYYYMMDD

I've developed the web site on my Ubuntu box, but when I uploaded the site on the server Fedora Core 3, I had problems with the date filtering. Running psql on the server I've noticed that there were more data in the select * from  value log results, field t_arr something like MM-DD-YYYY-dsfsdfd (something else which I don't know what it is)
I think that the local time settings on the server makes me the troubles.

What's the solution?

What's the best way to do filtering (selecting) data by time?

TIA, Jovan

Yahoo! Mail