Re: PHP/postgreSQL

On Sat, 2006-02-04 at 18:57 -0500, vince@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Can you try and  telnet to the box from your server on port 5432?
>
> I don't have shell access to the webserver machine.  I can connect from one of
> my local machines via: telnet 24.85.82.xxx 5432
>
> It brings up an empty console that closes after I enter input.

ok.. in all of your tests you have been connecting across your local
network, which takes the shaw devices out of the equation.

if you are able to connect with pgAdmin3 via ip address (and from your
message it seems that you are), my guess is that pgsql is accepting
connections via tcp/ip.

since you are attempting to connect to pgsql on your local network from
your web server (which is hosted elsewhere) and it times out, this tells
me that there is a device in the middle someplace that is firewalling
the packets.

you are *unlikely* to convince shaw to make firewall changes (if that is
what is happening) so you can do this.

ok.. now the hopefully easy question :): why are you trying to set
things up this way?

regards,
Jeff MacDonald
Zoid Technologies, http://zoidtechnologies.com/