Re: PHP/postgreSQL

So the setup is as follows:

I have a web server hosted by stormweb that runs the PHP scripts. On one of my
local machines behind a router, I have a postgreSQL server service setup.

If I run pgAdminIII on the postgreSQL server machine using the external IP to
connnect (24.85.82.xxx), it works ONLY with these postgreSQL server settings:

# TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD
host all all 0.0.0.0/0 trust

(I believe this is the setting that makes "sure pgsql is listening on tcp/ip")

I have enabled port forwarding on my router to forward 5432 to the proper
machine. Additionally, when I was starting, I was not able to connect from my
local server machine to itself via 24.85.82.xxx until I allowed the 5432 port
to pass through the window's firewall. (I've tried disabling that as well)

Given that it connects, can I assume that it's taking an external route to get
there and that shaw is allowing this traffic? (otherwise the firewall wouldn't
have any effect?)

Are there any possible problems from the web server machine that might be
preventing the connection?

Quoting "Gavin M. Roy" <gmr@xxxxxxxx>:

Are you sure your isp isn't blocking access? First thought to come to mind is shaw cable might be blocking port 5432. Can you try and telnet to the box from your server on port 5432? Also check to make sure pgsql is listening on tcp/ip. Also if you're a home shaw customer, are you behind a nat router? Have you opened up access on the nat router to get to your box behind it?

HTH,

Gavin