Re: How to handle missing pgsql.connect_timeout

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 09:49 +0100, Janning Vygen wrote:
> It's not broken anymore! And it speeds up your website.

 Well it might not be broken anymore, but I haven't seen any evidence of
a speed increase (quite the opposite in fact). What we did instead was
write a very small abstraction layer so that any page request would only
use 1 database connection. We're running on dual 2.8 GHz Xeons for our
web server and db machine and taking on over 500,000 hits per day. Some
of our pages are very data intensive (http://www.mcgill.ca/calendar/ for
example).

> At the moment it waits "forever" (until max_execution_time i guess) and you
> have no chance to show an error message like: DB is overloaded, please try
> again.

maybe pg_pconnect() isn't all it is cracked up to be? Anyone else here
have good experiences with it?

Cheers,

Chris

--