Inserting greek letters

Oops, sent this to the wrong list first... Please ignore the other if you
subscribe to pgsql-general as well.

Hi,

I have a database fronted with PHP. I want the user to be able to put
scientific notation characters (greek letters really) and store them in the
database.

Do I have to have created the database with UNICODE encoding to do this?
Also, is there anything in the PHP I have to adjust to be able to store the
data and display the data?

Thanks for any help

Adam

believed to be clean.