pg calls not working from within Apache

Hi,
  I am trying to get a PostGresql <-->PHP<-->Apache working and am running to the well documented problem of :

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: pg_connect() in /var/www/html/dbview.php on line 14

I have checked and double checked that php is compiled in with pgsql. List of compiled in modules looks like:
[PHP Modules]
SPL
SQLite
SimpleXML
calendar
ctype
dba
dom
ftp
gettext
iconv
libxml
openssl
pcre
pgsql <---
posix
session
soap
standard
tokenizer
xml
zlib

Apache and PHP seem to work, as evidenced by running the basic phpinfo() script. I also checked wheter pg calls work  when running from the script interpreter, i.e. running a php script.
However, I am not able to get the same script running from within a browser.
Can anyone point out what little bit of the puzzle I might be missing?
I have pgsql 7.4.3 PHP 4.3.2 and Apache 2.0.

Any help appreciated.

thanks,
Balaji