Re: UUID/GUID information

on 5/30/02 12:05 PM, Busby@xxxxxxxx purportedly said:

> Dear List,
> I'm trying to migrate my MS-SQL(shit) to Postgre.  My database
> depends on having a uniqueidentifier for all objects stored. (20 or so
> tables of these unique objects).  In MS-SQL I can use this datatype called
> "uniqueidentifier" to accomplish this.  What would be a similar solution in
> Postgre?  I've looked on through the MAN pages and also scoured the net for
> this info...I don't necessarly need a UUID like the MS one but some unique
> way to identifiy each object.
>
> Thanks in advance for help

Postgres has what it calls an "OID". This is a unique identifier for every
object. If you choose to use this, be sure to read all the caveats relating
to external use of OIDs. For instance, if you re-create the database (say
from a backup or dump), the IODs will change. IIRC, you can control this by
dumping/restoring OIDs in the executables.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.