Re: Long running queries and timeouts

Le Mardi 22 Janvier 2002 16:52, Josh Berkus a écrit :
> Actually, my web developer and I talked about the programming necessary
>  to do this, and decided that it was easier to break up the
>  long-running function into 3 smaller functions.

Are you connecting from Netscape? I noticed long queries timeouted in
Netscape. This is because Nescape waits for the entire content of a page
before displaying it.

On the converse, when connecting from $M Internet Explorer, just echo a
message like "Please wait during processing." and then "." everytime you run
a query. IE refreshes content and there is no timeout.

Also, it is possible to set timeout time in /etc/php.ini. Set a high value
like 600 seconds. Then you also need to allow more connections to PostgreSQL
backend as described in this very interesting article :
http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/smith20010821.php3?page=2.

PostgreSQL can run very fast when well-optimized. You probably need to
optimize the source code of queries themselves, probably writing some good
PL/pgSQL server side code. If you need a GUI to do so, download and install
Dave Page's excellent tool http://pgadmin.postgresql.org

Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE