Re: Optimizing count(), but Explain estimates wildly off

On Mon, 2024-02-26 at 18:25 -0600, Chema wrote:
> I'm trying to optimize simple queries on two tables (tenders & items) with a couple
> million records.  Besides the resulting records, the app also displays the count of
> total results.  Doing count() takes as much time as the other query (which can be
> 30+ secs), so it's an obvious target for optimization.
>
> Reading around, seems many people are still using this 2005 snippet to obtain the
> row count estimate from Explain:

I recommend using FORMAT JSON and extracting the top row count from that.  It is
simpler and less error-prone.

> Is this still the current best practice?  Any tips to increase precision?
> Currently it can estimate the actual number of rows for over or under a million,
> as seen on the sample queries (1,955,297 instead of 1,001,200; 162,080 instead
> of 1,292,010).

Looking at the samples you provided, I get the impression that the statistics for
the table are quite outdated.  That will affect the estimates.  Try running ANALYZE
and see if that improves the estimates.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe