Re: Postgres 15 SELECT query doesn't use index under RLS

Hi Tom,

If in fact you were getting decent performance from an indexscan plan
before, the only explanation I can think of is that the repo_ids you
are querying for are correlated with the tenant_id, so that the RLS
filter doesn't eliminate very many rows from the index result.  The
planner wouldn't realize that by default, but if you create extended
statistics on repo_id and tenant_id then it might do better.  Still,
you probably want the extra index.

Do you have any idea how to measure that correlation?

You haven't shown any evidence suggesting that.
My suggestion is based on following backward reasoning.

We used the product with the default settings. The requests are simple. We didn't change the hardware (actually, we use even more performant hardware because of that issue) and DDL. I've checked the request on old and new databases. Requests that rely on this index execute more than 10 times longer. Planner indeed used Index Scan before, but now it doesn't.

So, from my perspective, the only reason we experience that is database logic change. I think we could probably try to reproduce the issue on different Postgres versions and find the specific version that causes this.

Adding tenant_id is going to bloat your indexes quite a bit,
so I wouldn't do that except in cases where you've demonstrated
it's important.

Any recommendations from the Postgres team on how to use the indexes under RLS would help a lot here, but I didn't find them.

Kind regards,

Alexander