Re: Slow query, possibly not using index

Les <nagylzs@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>> If I try to select a single unused block this way:
>>> explain analyze select id from media.block b where nrefs =0 limit 1
>>> then it runs for more than 10 minutes (I'm not sure how long, I cancelled
>>> the query after 10 minutes).

>> You might think that even so, it shouldn't take that long ... but
>> indexes on UUID columns are a well known performance antipattern.

> I'm aware of the problems with random UUID values. I was using this
> function to create ulids from the beginning:

Oh, well that would have been useful information to provide at the
outset.  Now that we know the index order is correlated with creation
time, I wonder if it is also correlated with nrefs, in such a way that
scanning in index order is disastrous because all the desired rows are
at the end of the index.

Also, you deny deleting any rows, but that wasn't the point.  Do you
ever update nrefs from zero to nonzero?  That'd also leave dead
entries behind in this index.  If that is a routine event that is
correlated with creation time, it gets easier to believe that your
index could have lots of dead entries at the front.

We'd still have to figure out why autovacuum is failing to clean out
those entries in a timely fashion, but that seems like a plausible
way for the performance problem to exist.

> I can try to do VACUUM on this table, but I'm limited on resources. I think
> it will take days to do this. Maybe I can try to dump the whole database
> and restore it on another machine.

Pretty hard to believe that dump-and-restore would be faster than
VACUUM.

> (Is there a way to check the number of dead rows?)

I think contrib/pgstattuple might help.

			regards, tom lane