 I feel like ANYTHING would be better than this. Even risking loosing _some_ of the latest data in case of a server crash (if it crashes we lose data anyways until restart, ofc we could have HA I know and we will when there'll be a need) .

 Around 100 times the write need for wall than the useful data! That's insane. This is actually endangering the whole project we've been working on for the last 1.5 years and I face this issue after 100k devices have been added for a client. So I'm between a rock and a hard place :(

 Ye, I think this is called "experience", but I must be honest, I was not expecting this at all :(

 However,  collectd's plugin does have an option to increase commit interval, but that kept the records locked and it caused strange issues, that's why I disabled it. I tried now to add that setting back and it does ease the situation somewhat with write spikes on commit.

 All in all, thank you for your help. Honestly, after todays journey I thought that's the issue, but didn't want to believe it.

Thanks,

András

Hi,

On 2023-05-04 19:31:45 +0200, ProfiVPS Support wrote:
 We are collecting around 400k values each 5 minutes into a hypertable. (We
use timescaledb extension, I also shared this on timescale forum but then I
realised the issue is postgresql related.)

I don't know how timescale does its storage - how did you conclude this is
about postgres, not about timescale? Obviously WAL write patterns depend on
the way records are inserted and flushed.

 I also found that the 16MB WAL segment got 80+ MB written into it before
being closed. So what's happening here? Does fsync cause the whole file to
be written out again and again?

One possible reason for this is that you are committing small transactions
very frequently. When a transaction commits, the commit records needs to be
flushed to disk. If the transactions are small, the next commit might reside
on the same page - which needs to be written out again. Which of course can
increase the write rate considerably.

Your workload does not sound like it actually needs to commit in tiny
transactions? Some larger batching / using longer lived transactions might
help a lot.

Another possibility is that timescale does flush WAL too frequently for some
reason...

Greetings,

Andres Freund

---