max_wal_senders

I've been thinking about the max_wal_senders parameter lately and wondering if there is any harm in setting it too high.  I'm wondering if I should try to shave a few senders off, perhaps to match my logical replicas + 1, instead of just leaving it at the default of 10.  Or vice-versa, can clients use more than one sender if they are available?  Would increasing it result in lower latency?  The documentation is a little vague.

The documentation mentions an orphaned connection slot that may take a while to time out.  How can I tell if I have any of those?  I was looking for a `pg_wal_slots` table similar to the `pg_replication_slots` table, but don't see anything obvious in the catalog.