Database Stalls

Hi,

We've started to observe instances of one of our databases stalling for a few seconds.

We see a spike in wal write locks then nothing for a few seconds. After which we have spike latency as processes waiting to get to the db can do so.

There is nothing in the postgres logs that give us any clues to what could be happening, no locks, unusually high/long running transactions, just a pause and resume.

Could anyone give me any advice as to what to look for when it comes to checking the underlying disk that the db is on?

Thanks,

Gurmokh